Dental Exams & Cleanings
Local Tualatin Dental Practice Providing Quality General Dental Care For Adults, Teens & Children
At Candace L. Peterson, DMD we believe that prevention and regular dental visits are key to ensuring that you maintain a healthy and beautiful smile for years to come. At our conveniently located office in Tualatin, OR Dr. Peterson offers patients thorough dental examinations as well as cleanings.
What To Expect During Your Dental Exam
During your first visit, Dr. Peterson and her team will perform a comprehensive and thorough dental exam so that they can decide if any further treatment is needed. During regular check-up exams, Dr. Peterson and one of her hygienists will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are performed by one of our registered dental hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Schedule Your Routine Dental Cleaning or Exam With Us
Regularly scheduled dental cleanings can help to drastically cut down on potential for tooth decay and more costly and largely avoidable treatment later. If you have been seeking a comprehensive dentists in the Tualatin, OR area, then call us at our office to set up your first appointment. We strive to make each of our patients feel comfortable each time they enter our state-of-the-art office, and our talented team will always take the time to answer all of your questions. We look forward to meeting you!