Tualatin & Tigard
What is a dental bridge?
A dental bridge is a fixed, immovable appliance used to replace missing teeth. They are highly durable and last many years. Due to normal wear, they may need to be replaced or re-cemented.
There are many types of bridges, yet the most popular type is typically made of porcelain that is fused to metal. This bridge is comprised of two crowns that are set over two anchoring teeth (abutment teeth) and are attached to pontics (artificial teeth). This fills the gap that is created from one or more missing teeth.
Why do I need a fixed bridge?
· To fill a gap where there are missing teeth
· To maintain facial structure
· To prevent current teeth from becoming misaligned
· To restore chewing and speaking ability
· To improve your smile
· To upgrade from a temporary removable partial denture
What is the process of getting a fixed bridge?
Getting a bridge usually requires two or more visits.
1. Mouth is numbed
2. Two anchoring teeth are prepared by partially removing enamel to allow for a crown
3. A highly accurate mold, or impression, is made
4. Bridge will be fabricated at a dental laboratory
5. A temporary bridge will be made and worn until your next appointment
1. Permanent bridge will be checked, adjusted, and cemented for a proper fit
2. (Dentist may temporarily cement the bridge to allow your teeth and tissue to adapt, with the new bridge being permanently cemented at a later date)
3. You will receive care instructions on proper brushing, flossing, and cleaning
4. Continue regular dental visits
Schedule An Appointment With Dr. Peterson!
If you have any questions about this process or anything about our practice in general, please reach out to us to request an appointment. We do our best to accommodate your busy schedule. Feel free to call us at (503) 691-9046 or email us at email@example.com. We look forward to helping brighten your smile and give you healthy and beautiful teeth for life!