At the Tualatin, OR cosmetic dental office of Dr. Candace L. Peterson, we offer plenty of restorative options for patients in need of tooth repair. Many of our patients often seek white fillings for the visible areas of their teeth, white dental crowns as a cosmetic enhancement that will also protect and strengthen their teeth, dental implants as a form of tooth replacement, or amalgam fillings for decayed areas in the back teeth.
Amalgam fillings are particularly popular among our patients. Your Tualatin dentist offers two types of fillings:
- Silver amalgam fillings, often used for the back teeth
- Composite fillings, or white fillings, as an aesthetic solution
Both types of fillings have their advantages and disadvantages. Dr. Peterson will go over each option with you before you make a final decision.
Reasons for amalgam fillings:
- Cracked or broken teeth
- Decayed teeth
- Worn teeth
If your teeth are experiencing any of the above issues, then you are in need of tooth repair and should visit our dental practice as soon as possible before it becomes a more serious problem.
What does getting an amalgam filling involve?
In one appointment, Dr. Candace can fix the affected portion of your tooth with an amalgam filling. When you visit our Tualatin dentist, she will do the following steps to restore your damaged tooth:
- Check the affected portion of your tooth and numb the nerves.
- While the surrounding area is numb, remove the affected part of your tooth.
- Thoroughly cleanse the space and carefully prepare the tooth for the filling.
- Fill the tooth with an amalgam filling.
- Shape and polish the filling to restore the tooth to its original appearance.
Once your new filling is properly in its place, you may experience sensitivity to hotness and coldness until your tooth acclimates to the new filling.
Your Tualatin family dentist will also give you post-care instructions before you leave. For instance, to ensure that your filling will last for a long time, be sure to do the following:
- Maintain good oral hygiene.
- Practice good eating habits.
- Regularly visit our Tualatin dental office.
Amalgam fillings are very durable and will last many years. However, as with most dental restorations, amalgam fillings are not permanent and may someday need replacement.
Your Local Tualatin & Tigard Area Dentist
Thank you for choosing Dr. Candace as your primary family and cosmetic dentist. Our convenient location in Tualatin, OR allows us to serve the surrounding areas of Tigard, Lake Grove and more. If you would like to schedule an appointment or have any questions about our restorative dentistry or cosmetic dentistry, please do not hesitate to contact us at (503) 691-9046 to speak with a friendly member from our team. We look forward to helping you create a beautiful smile!